1. What did you learn this week?
This week our learning was focused on DNA and genetics. We created a candy DNA strand and made sure to match up the "base pairs". This was a great hands-on learning experience. Additionally, we did the baby lab, which helped us develop a deeper understanding of genotypes and phenotypes. We flipped a coin to determine which trait was passed on from the mom and dad. We learned that the genotype determines the phenotype, and the phenotypes are the observable characteristics on a person. Additionally, we observed our plants made note of where they were at in their life cycle. Lastly, we got to see the butterflies that hatched. It was cool to watch them go from worms to butterflies and see their lifecycle. 

  1. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I have learned to my future teaching by using the same activities with my students. I think these are very kid-friendly and engaging activities that would help students gain a better understanding of complex topics such as DNA. I think the kids would have fun working with candy to develop a stand of DNA, and it would be educational. I also think the kids would really enjoy the baby lab. It would help them better understand how traits are inherited from parents. I imagine they’d have fun drawing a picture of their completed person at the end, making the concept even more engaging and tangible for them.

  1. What are new or remaining questions? 
One remaining question that I have is how punnett squares are related to genetics and DNA. I remember learning about punnett squares in high school, but I forgot what role they play. I think this would be helpful to connect the dots and gain a deeper understanding of genetics. 

Comments

  1. Hi Ellie, I remember learning about the Punnett square when talking about genetics in science. I'm wondering if we were just working with the basics of genetics and didn't get into the Punnett Square specifically. My past experiences show that Punnett squares help determine genotypes and phenotypes. The biggest example I can think of is eye color. I also really liked the activities we did this week, I think they really helped me understand DNA better. I think that having fun, kid-friendly activities that are engaging is important to incorporate when learning science, as you explained! Hope you did well on your exam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie, I think learning about phenotypes and genotypes is very beneficial for our understanding about life overall. I think it's also important to know that the genotype determines the phenotype. I think that most of the activities are great to use in a future classroom, most (if not all) of these activities will keep students engaged and interested.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Sun, Earth, and the Moon

Week 10: Layers of Earth, Convection Cells, and Plate Tectonics

Week 8: Geology that kids see