1. What did you learn this week?

One thing I learned is that density is mass divided by volume. Water has been defined as having a density of 1 g/ml. In the PressBooks reading, it explains that scientists did this on purpose when creating the metric system. They wanted to make it easy to calculate since water is one of the most common substances on earth. If something is less dense than water, it will float. If something is denser than water, it will sink. When discussing this, we went back to our coke float activity to try to understand it. We looked at the mass and density of the different size coke cans. The large coke was the only one that must have a density that is greater than 1g/ml. We know this because it was the only can that sank.

We learned why things have different densities in the first place. This I because of particles models of matter. If the particles are close together and tightly packed, the object will have a higher density. If the particles are more spread out, the object will have a lower density. 

  1. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply what I’ve learned in my future teaching by using similar hands-on experiments to help my students connect abstract concepts to real-world experiences. In my future classroom, I want to create that a sense of curiosity and problem-solving. This will help student ask questions and make observations.

I also learned the importance of encouraging students to think critically and reflect on whether their results make sense based on what they know. Sometimes, things don’t behave exactly as we expect due to differences in materials, conditions, or even small errors. This is okay, and it creates opportunities for deeper learning and discussion.

For example, in one of our lab experiments, the paper clips we used did not conduct electricity as we expected. We had a discussion that not all paper clips are made from the same materials or sometimes they get corroded. This unexpected result helped us understand that matter and its properties can vary, and it's important to ask why and investigate further.

  1. What are new or remaining questions? 

One remaining question I have is, why does the shape of an object affect whether it sinks or floats? I understand that density plays a big role in whether something sinks or floats. I’m still confused about how two objects made of the same material but shaped differently can behave differently in water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Sun, Earth, and the Moon

Week 10: Layers of Earth, Convection Cells, and Plate Tectonics

Week 8: Geology that kids see