1.
What
did you learn this week?
During our
experiment in class with baking powder and vinegar, we first used a ballon to
trap the gas and create a closed system. The mass on the scale decreased even
though we predicted that it would remain the same since it was a closed system
and the conservation of matter rule. We learned that this happened due to the
buoyancy of the balloon in the air. After reflecting, we decided to use a
bottle cap instead of a balloon to create a closed system. This could eliminate
any buoyancy. After doing this, the mass was the same before and after the reaction.
This experiment taught us about the conservation of matter.
2.
How
can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can
apply what I have learned about making experiments interesting and engaging for
students. One key takeaway was that simply turning a standard into a question,
such as “Is the total weight of matter the same?”, isn’t always enough to get
students interested. It’s important to frame the experiment in a way that
captures curiosity and encourages exploration. Students are more likely to
engage with the concept if there is more buy in.
3.
What
are new or remaining questions?
I'm still wondering
how I can design experiments that minimize error while staying hands-on and
engaging for students. Also, how can I better anticipate unexpected results
like the impact of buoyancy, and turn them into teachable moments?

Comments
Post a Comment